JURISDICTION OF THE COURT OF APPEAL IN BELGRADE
Jurisdiction of the courts is regulated by the Law on Organization of Courts and Law on Seats and Territories of Courts and Prosecutor’s Offices.
The seat of the Court of Appeal in Belgrade is at 9 Nemanjina Street.
The jurisdiction of the Court of Appeal in Belgrade includes:
1. Deciding upon appeals filed against decisions of higher courts;
2. Deciding upon appeals filed against decisions of basic courts in criminal cases, in circumstances when higher court does not have jurisdiction to decide upon appeal (second-instance higher court has the jurisdiction to decide upon appeals filed against decisions of basic courts related to measures for providing presence of the defendants, for criminal offenses punishable by a fine or imprisonment of up to five years);
3. Deciding upon appeal filed against decisions of the basic courts in civil cases, in circumstances when higher court does not have jurisdiction to decide upon appeal (second - instance higher court has the jurisdiction to decide upon appeals filed against the following decisions of basic courts: decisions in civil cases, decisions in small-value cases and enforcement and non-contenious cases);
4. Deciding on conflict of jurisdiction of lower courts located on that territory, when the higher court does not have jurisdiction to decide;
5. Deciding on transfer of jurisdiction of basic and higher courts if they are unable or can not proceed in certain legal matter;
6. Performing other activities prescribed by law.
This court is a second-instance court for the territory of higher courts in Belgrade, Valjevo, Pancevo and Smederevo.
Related to the basic courts, the Court of Appeal in Belgrade is a second-instance court for the First basic court in Belgrade, Second basic court in Belgrade, Third basic court in Belgrade, Basic Court in Lazarevac, Basic court in Mladenovac, Basic court in Obrenovac, Basic court in Valjevo, Basic court in Mionica, Basic court in Ub, Basic court in Vrsac, Basic court in Pancevo, Basic court in Velika Plana and Basic Court in Smederevo.
According to the Law on Organization and Jurisdiction of State Institutions in Preventing Organized Crime, criminal cases related to organized crime and other serious crimes are under jurisdiction of the Court of Appeal in Belgrade as a second-instance court, for the territory of the Republic of Serbia.
Court of Appeal in Belgrade, as a second-instance court for the entire territory of the Republic of Serbia, is in charge of cases related to acts against humanity and international law, as well as serious breaches of international humanitarian law committed on the territory of former Yugoslavia starting from January 1, 1991 which have been stated in the Statute of the International Criminal Tribunal for former Yugoslavia, in accordance wit the Law on Organization and Jurisdiction of State Institutions in War Crime Cases.
From 1 January of 2014 the Court of Appeal in Belgrade have appellate jurisdiction over the entire territory of the Republic of Serbia for disputes to ban distribution of the press and dissemination of information to the media and to adjudicate disputes about the publication of the correction information and responses to information, the violation of the prohibition of hate speech, protection of privacy life and the right to personal records, non - publication of the information and damages in connection with the disclosure. Also, this Court of first January of 2014 years have appellate jurisdiction over the entire territory of the Republic of Serbia for disputes on copyright and related rights and the protection and use inventions, industrial designs, models, patterns, trademarks, geographical indications, integrated circuit topography, actually topography of semiconductor products and plant breeders.